connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

Forget-Her-Nots

Forget-Her-Nots - Amy Brecount White Forget-Her-Nots revolve around a young girl’s affinity for materializing emotions through the language of flowers. Laurel, in an effort to feel closer to her dead mother, transfers her mom’s old boarding school. In a class project, she discovers that her tussie-mussies seem to bring out whatever emotion or feeling the bouquet represents. The premise had a lot of potential and a lot of charm. The use of flower symbolism is unique and definitely intriguing. When the concept of Flowerspeakers came up, I was definitely drawn into the story.One thing I had trouble with was the characters. I did not like Laurel. I am sympathetic towards her character, but I could not connect to her. She seems to bounce around being lonely and wanting friends to having friends, but ditching them. In my perspective, Laurel seemed very self-involved and in certain points of the story, very whiny. My problem with Laurel also stems from her misuse of power. She seems to understand that her powers can go wrong (hello, basil incident anyone), but she cannot stop making bouquets for people. I do understand that she is only a fourteen year old girl and do make allowances for that. One aspect I did liked about Laurel was that despite her crush, she did not abandon her passion for flowers.The secondary characters also seemed very generic. My favorite secondary character was Rose – who was smart, sharp and super rational that at first, could not wrapped herself around the concept of Laurel’s flower magic. Other characters however, like Tara, seemed to be very stereotypical and 2D. And I really wanted to strangle Tara because she got on my nerves every time she appeared.The language of flowers is what I liked about this story. I loved the references to literature and the hidden allusions to flower meanings. Also, I enjoyed the flower dictionary at the back of the book. Throughout the story, I felt like I learned a lot about flower meanings. White’s invention of Flowerspeakers held my interest and I wished the story explored more of that world then delving into the romance.The romance in Forget-Her-Nots is adorable, but not realistic. My problem with the romance is that it lacked development. The romance happens quickly over the course of the book, but the characters barely had any interaction time. The romance also seemed just thrown out there as a plot mover versus having any major impact on the overall story. However, the romance is light and clean and therefore, can appeal to the younger YA readers.Overall, Forget-Her-Nots has promise. While I did not love it, I did not hate this book either. The story has a certain charm that will appeal to girls that want to enjoy something light and fun with a hint of magic. I also probably recommend it to readers who are crossing over from middle readers to YA because it’s clean, fun reading.