connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

The Lit Report (Young Adult Novels)

The Lit Report - Sarah N. Harvey “I’m not going to lie to you.” What an opening line. In fact, every chapter of this book has a first line from classic literature. Julia, the protagonist, connects the first line from literature to her current situation. In this frame story, Julia, a high school teenager, ends up concocting this scheme to help her best friend, Ruth, to hide her pregnancy from Ruth’s religious fanatic parents. Added to this drama is Julia’s father, a neonatal nurse who an obsession for songs that have the word ‘baby’ in it; his new wife, Miki, who is a doctor that ends up pregnant around the same time Ruth is; Maria, the midwife from which Julia learns from; Jonah, Ruth’s brother who Julia is in love with and more. The Lit Report is a warm-hearted story about the strength of friendship sprinkled with humorous moments. The strength of The Lit Report lies in the characters while the weakness was the neat and tidy plot. The story did not feel realistic considering the circumstances. Overall, a light, happy read about a strong friendship.