connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor

This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor - Susan Wicklund, Alex Kesselheim “Because it is such a secret, we lose sight of how common it is.” Abortion is one of those topics that not many people talk about. To talk about abortion is a gross violation of good breeding, or it was. Since Roe v. Wade, there seems to be a war waging between people who believe in having abortion as a choice that is available to them (pro-choice) and those who believe that abortion is killing the potential for life in a woman’s womb (pro-life). Especially in the recent election in 2008. Abortion is a sensitive charged topic with (I think) many misconceptions on either side of the issue. Susan Wicklund’s memoir of her journey into becoming an abortion doctor displays a more in-depth personal look at this controversial issue. She shares narratives of patients she had over the year from an aging woman on the brink of menopause who finds herself pregnant to the teenager who has a scholarship to college and is not really for motherhood to the girl who was raped walking home from a movie. Or a fourteen year old whose father was the one that raped her and got her pregnant. Wicklund also shares details of her personal life from the abortion she had, to the story of her grandmother in a time when there were no Roe v. Wade. She tells details of being stalked and harassed, of having to wear a wig or getting up at the middle of the night. Of protesters chaining themselves to the door, to fake patients. Of having people protesting outside of her home disrupting not only her life but her family’s. She revealed the terror she lived in, especially after hearing how abortion doctor were being shot at or targets of arson. This memoir is an amazing eye-opening look at a woman at the front lines of the abortion war. A must read for any person!