connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith Hadley only misses her flight by four minutes and in that time, it changes her life. Because she meets Oliver and they form a connection. I love the premise of the possibility of connections. The idea of chance meetings and fate is so charming in a world so driven by technology and social networking.Given the premise, I completely thought this book would be a light romantic comedy about two teenagers falling madly in love. I completely misjudged it. While the romance does feature in the novel, both Hadley and Oliver have their own separate demons they must face. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is much a story about romantic love as it is about familial love.Hadley's still reeling from the destruction her dad left when he took off for a semester teaching at Oxford and fell in love with the city as well as another woman. She did not want to be at the airport in the first place; flying off to attend her dad's wedding to "that other woman". I really felt for Hadley and her antics are sympathetic given the situation and relationship with her father.Given the short nature of the connection between Hadley and Oliver, it can be hard to realistically create a believable romance. But Jennifer E. Smith does it and it such a short book too! Her writing style made me feel like I was with Hadley every step of the way from the airport to the plane and dashing around London.  And I was right there as she started falling...The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a sweet, charming read and I can't recommend it enough.