connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

Identical

Identical - Ellen Hopkins “When I look into a/ mirror,/ it is her face I see./ Her right is my left, double/ moles, dimple and all./ My right is her left,/ unblemished.We are exact/ opposites…”On the outside, Raeanne and Kaeleigh are identical twins - mirror images of each other. Inside, their personalities differ as sun and moon. Raeanne is craving the love of her father and turns to alcohol, drugs and sex as comfort. Kaeleigh has the “misplaced” love of her father and is under his control. So to feel in control of herself, she turns to food. Their distant mother is never around and their father is an alcoholic and has troubling issues with control. On the surface, they seem like the All-American family but behind the facade lurk skeletons in the closet. Identical is a compelling but startling verse novel, showing provoking issues that does affect people today that tend to be forgotten in the media. Using the issue of sexual abuse, Ellen Hopkins created an emotional novel that resonates.