connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow - Jessica Day George Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is a retelling of the Nordic fairytale East of the Sun, West of the Moon with elements of Beauty and the Beast. The unnamed character is the ninth daughter of a woodcutter and housewife. Her mother refuses to name her because daughters are useless to her so her father calls her ‘pika’ (girl) and her oldest brother calls her ‘lass’. After a meeting with a magical reindeer, the lass gets a name and an ability to communicate with animals. Following the vein of the fairytale, she meets up with the isbjorn (polar bear) and agrees to live with him in his castle for a year and in exchange, her family gets wealth and success. Of course, not everything is what it seems at the castle and it’s up to the lass to get in the bottom of it. Part fantasy, part mystery and part love story.Jessica Day George uses the original storyline of ‘East of the Sun, West of the Moon’ and creates a more realistic, detailed fairytale with elements of Norse language, culture and tradition. With her use of the fairytale, the plot line becomes slightly predictable.*SPOILER* I had a problem with the stranger in the lass’ bed. I find it that she did not have a problem making it odd and unbelievable. *END SPOILER*But other than that, I highly enjoyed this book and look forward to her other fairytale retelling, Princess of the Midnight Ball.