connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

Impossible

Impossible - Nancy Werlin Inspired by the ballad Scarborough Fair, Nancy Werlin's new novel Impossible combines the rationality of the modern world with the mystical folklore of the ancient world. Lucy Scarborough was just an ordinary seventeen year old with loving foster parents until she was date raped at her prom. Her mentally unstable mother, Miranda, left her only with a version of Scarborough Fair and a letter hidden under her bookshelf. When Lucy finds out she's pregnant, and her oldest friend Zach unearths Miranda's journal, Lucy and her family finds out it is no ordinary pregnancy. The long line Scarborough women has been cursed by the Elfin Knight to perform the three tasks incited in the song by the time of their daughter's birth or they will go mad. No Scarborough women has ever past even the first task. Now, for her sake and the sake of her daughter's future, Lucy must find a way to break the curse with the help of those who love her.Nancy Werlin's mixing of the tangible world with the specter of the past created a fantastical story filled with romance and suspense that enthralls. Lucy Scarborough is a rational girl with a sound mind, but when the truth of her family's legacy comes to light she must step out the logical box and put faith in the supernatural. Zach, the boy next door literally struggles with helping Lucy with her pregnancy and dealing with the curse. The only bone I had to pick was that her foster parents and Zach was quick to believe the curse. With Lucy being such a logical person, I was surprised to not see her dismiss it. Overall, a wonderful story that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in fantasy, folklore or just plain looking for a good story.