connie908

Translate My Heart

I am a twenty-something year old with a fondness for books, snail mail and summer dresses. I work in a bookshop and live in the pages of books.

Two Girls of Gettysburg

Two Girls of Gettysburg - Lisa Klein Cousins and best friends, Lizzie and Rosanna live in Gettysburg during the outbreak of the Civil WarFifteen year old Lizzie, practical and reliable is stuck working at her family’s business instead of studying to become a teacher when her brother and father goes off to war. Unflinchingly loyal, she takes on the tasks of running a shop and helping her mother at home.Rosanna - sent to Gettysburg to help her older sister is the dreamer, the romantic. Her ties to Richmond leads her to have strong sympathy towards the Confederate cause. She gets swept up in the romance of the South and that of a Confederate officer.These two cousins face difficulties when war breaks out and they are separated. It would take one of the war’s bloodiest battle to reunite them. Told in chapters that change from Lizzie to Rosanna, Lisa Klein portrays the harsh realities - the sacrifices and challenges - of war. I really enjoyed the switch of Lizzie’s narration to Rosanna’s diary entries. It made the switching perspectives more easier to grasp. Lizzie and Rosanna are strong characters and the South is humanize. An amazing historical read.